Thursday, August 12, 2004

Solcofn



Just for the record, why the name 'Solcofn'?

Long story short...there was a band (I am sure a few folks have guessed this already) called Soul Coughing that was one of my favorite bands. In 1997, I got their name on my license plate for my car. All that I could get to fit was SOLCOFN. Well, over the years I kept that on there & it just kinda turned into a nickname for me. Sometimes people just call me "sol". Not a terribly exciting story but that's where the name came from.

What are you up to these days?

My friend & I run a website called Jedi Boogie Knights. There are CD reviews & news stories but the main point of the site is to make a place where people can come together & discuss & share live DJ sets. We are working on a rather large DJ Archive right now. I think we have around 100 Gigs of live sets that we hope to someday have them all linked up. Outside of that I am still working on my own original music & boots .

What music are you currently listening to?

Several things but the main ones are:
Monkey Bars - Food Eating Food (They know how to party)
Kenna - New Sacred Cow (Came out a while ago but I think it's brilliant)
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (Been one of my favorite bands since 1988 when I got my first record of theirs. This is a kick ass record as well)

What, if push comes to shove, is the one album that changed your life?

I know you asked for one but...when I was in 8th grade, I went to a friend's house for a party & in the span of several hours I heard The Violent Femmes, The Flaming Lips, Faith No More & The Pixies. Hands down that day changed my musical life. There are other bands that blew me away but those...those changed me. All four get the credit, I can't pick just one.

Do you still remember what's the first record you ever bought? Where did you buy it?

Don't laugh to hard...the first 2 albums I ever bought myself (bought the same day) were Mr Mister Welcome To The Real World & Chaka Khan I Feel For You. I was in 4th grade.

What's it like being a day in the life of Solcofn?

A bit drab right now. I work my 9 to 5 as a Warehouse Manager for an electronics company & then when I get home I work on music. I go out to the clubs a few times a month & I try to have fun as much as I can. Hang out with friends & family & just try to get myself that much closer to my goal, which is to get paid for doing music.

What is the most, 1) bizarre & 2) embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?

Bizarre: In 1992, being the only one out of a group of 38 kids & adults on a trip through Russia, to have every bag I had opened & searched by the KGB (I kid you not) due to my father's job (he worked for the government, monitoring nuclear treaties & underground nuclear testing).

Embarrassing: Being so drunk after seeing a stand-up comedian that, once we left the show & were on the subway home, I randomly got off at a stop without my friends (God knows where) & walked around Washington D.C. for a few hours in the middle of the night (down the middle of the street yelling) & then paid about $80 more than I should have for a ride home.....When I got in the cab I grabbed all the money out of my wallet and said, "Will this get me home?"...Yikes!

The last of Solcofn:

Last CD you bought (or downloaded) = Bought Chikinki Lick Your Ticket
Last movie you watched that gave you wood = Spiderman 2 (The comic book geek boy in me loved it)
Last book or mag you read that was awesome =
Remix Magazine, one of the best mags out there!
Last concert you watched that was boring = Don't have one. Why would I watch if it was boring?
Last bootleg you heard that was so bad, it's good! = Can't think of one...if they are that bad, they are usually never good

In your opinion, what is the ONE bootleg that is considered the greatest of all time?

My personal favorite is Calle Hanson's "Blame It On The Crescendolls". Now I know it is not "perfect", but to me, it sums up what a proper boot should be (in time, on key & one hell of a good time)!

Which bootlegger deserves a smack in the mouth & why?

Weiser...just kidding. I don't want to single anyone out but I do feel that some people are taking the whole Weiser thing way too far (& I think they know who they are). Talking as if they are elitists & that they are better than everybody (I am sure some of them were just like him when they started posting). All Weiser ever did was get excited about something he digs...he just happened to post it on a board where most people don't share his enthusiasm. Other than that , nobody has pissed me off...

Any boots you wished you've done but didn't?

"Assasinator 13 Remix" by FakeID. I swear I will never stop talking about that mix. Just gets me ready to party every time I hear it.

Will Mash-Ups be dead by 2006? Discuss...

I feel that as long as the scene is kept away from corporate hands it has a future. Even if it does get commercialized a bit, the true booters will still be doing this no matter what. I have faith. Plus , here in the States, it is not anywhere near as big as in the UK. I give it at least 2 years before someone claims it's dead here (LOL).

Let's play word association. We mention a name & you give us your thoughts...

GYBO = My desire to do music
Slsk = Now a part of life, although for every one thing I download I still buy at least 2 CD's
Woodstock = An amazing time in musical history, I was at the 94 one & it was amazing (not the same but still fun)!
iPod = Don't have one...
The Beatles = Musical alchemists
Billy Graham = Cult member
Elle Macpherson = The single most beautiful woman to ever walk the face of the earth. I have had it bad for her since the late 80's (still smokin' hot today!!!)
George Bush = A good ole boy with way too much power & no clue (I didn't vote for him)
2 Many DJs = Brilliant
Missy Elliott = A woman who knows what she wants & gets it

Which decade do you consider the 'golden era' of music & why?

The 60's...music was at a time when everything was new & the musical horizon was unlimited....now it is hard to find something fresh & original (you can, but it is a lot harder to find).

What do you remember about the following years:

1990 = Still amazed that the wall came down in Berlin in November 89. Hammer time.
1992 = Moving to Washington D.C. in the middle of high school. Nirvana was huge.
1997 = Lots of freaky sex with the girl I was dating. The Chems - Dig Your Own Hole.
2000 = Laughed at all the people who were freaking out about the Y2K bug. The Foggy Bottom Boys.
2004 = Found GYBO & the rest is history.

What's your favourite Saturday night record?

The Chemical Brothers - "Leave Home" (Can always get me in the mood to party)

And your Sunday morning one?

Spiritualized - Ladies & gentleman We Are Floating In Space (Speaks for itself)

What are your plans for the future?

Working on some original music with some fellow GYBO folks & to continue my music. One day, I will be getting paid to do my music & will be playing at Bootie!!! You heard it here first.

Do you still see yourself involved with bootlegs in ten years time?

Yes...but I am sure it will be at a different level to me by then. More experience & better equipment...hopefully getting proper remix work as well!

What do you think the future for bootlegs / mash-ups / remixes
would be like, given that being a home musician is so easy these days?


What is "easy"? There are so many things that people think are easy & if you are good at what you do, it may look easy but it usually isn't. You either have talent or you don't. I think that if people are good at it & there is an audience for it, it will thrive. I know the remix scene is going very well right now & I think that as long as people don't sue like crazy over copyrights, boots will thrive as well. There will always be an underground for all music...that is what separates the people who do it because they love it & the folks who just want a cheque. If it is not mainstream then the guy who just wants a cheque is not going to be dragging it down with him.... I hope that made sense...

Some Solcofn boots:

1. Undo The End (Bjork vs Linkin Park)

2. Astounded Saliva (Curtis Mayfield vs RJD2)

3. That's Just The Way Drug Is (Kool Keith vs Prodigy)

You can also visit Solcofn's website here.