Thursday, August 26, 2004

The Reverend Menagerie

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Just for the record, why the name 'The Reverend Menagerie'?

A long time ago, I used to play a lot of online role-playing games. I ended up with a lot of various characters, & used to joke about being my own menagerie. The reverend part came along after a Saturday afternoon where I discovered the Universal Life Church...so I got myself ordained as a minister there (took 20 minutes, & I considered it just amusing). I jokingly told people to call me Reverend Menagerie...That was somewhere around 10 years ago.

What are you up to these days?

Music...music & more music...oh, & some art & poetry too. Between my originals, the "Legion" project with Solcofn, & two more possible collaborations in the works...I've got a fair amount to keep me busy. Not to mention my month old daughter, Katrin...talking about saving the best for last, eh?

What music are you currently listening to?

At the moment as I answer this, I've got Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers' Americano album playing in the background. Otherwise, it's been an eclectic mix of artistes & bootleggers, such as Ozomatli, Buck-O-Nine, They Might Be Giants, Eliades Ochoa, Dean Martin, & for some reason I have yet to truly understand, the soundtrack to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

What, if push comes to shove, is your all-time favourite album?

That's a very touch one. I'd have to say it's a toss-up between the New Radicals' Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too & Bad Religion's Stranger Than Fiction

When was the last time you bought a record that was shite? Where did you buy it?

That would have to be Slowrush's Volume...which I found on the dollar rack at a used bookstore. I had heard the opening track, & liked that...so I figured it was worth the two bucks. I was dead wrong.

Which artiste, other than yourself, have you ever wanted to be?

For a while, I wanted to be like Hulk Hogan. Actor, wrestler, singer...but then I turned 10 & started noticing girls.

Can you recall the most heartwarming thing that has ever happened to you?

Holding my daughter for the very first time.

The First of The Reverend Menagerie:

First album you ever bought = With my own money, that would have to be George Michael's Faith. First CD I bought was Van Halen's Right Here Right Now live set.
First movie you watched that scared the shit outta you = The last movie that came close was more time & location than story. I had managed to catch a showing of the original Night Of The Living Dead one Halloween night at a revival house, at midnight. I can honestly say I wouldn't go near a cemetary for weeks after.
First book or mag you read that reminded you of God = Going to have to say the Bible, back when I was Catholic.
First concert you watched that changed your life = I think I was about 10, & saw some local band with people I had known for nearly all my life. Made me realize I could try that too.
First mash-up you ever heard = Forgotten who did it, but it was the Red Hot Chili Peppers mashed with Kelis. Thought it was interesting, & forgot about it until much much later...when I found GYBO.

In your opinion, which bootlegger is still considered the best (for now, that is!)?

Can't really say anything against McSleazy & GHP, but I'd be watching cry.on.my.console very closely. He ranks up there, & is only getting better.

On the other hand, which bootlegger deserves a smack in the mouth & why?

Well, aside from the obvious choices...going to have to say Rikki Rok. I don't know why, something just bugs me about him.

Any boots you wished you've done but didn't?

Most of them, actually. My own regular boot attempts tend to fail miserably right now.

If Marilyn Manson commissioned you to do a boot to help aid his cause, what will your terms be? Humour us please...

That's funny. Money might be the best term...but since I've read Manson's book & think he's a very interesting person, I'd probably just try picking his brain for ideas.

Let's play word association. We mention a name & you give us your thoughts...

Anton LaVey = Some good points, millions of idiot followers think he's God.
The White Stripes = Brought back music, rather than over production. Some rough songs.
Clinton = Couldn't he have banged someone with better looking teeth?
Jesus Christ = Kiss me, Son of God...
McSleazy = Gave us GYBO.
Acid Pro = With this, & time, you can make masterpieces or disasters.
Weiser = Apparently, he's rather a running joke now. At least he's remembered.
London Booted = Only the beginning, I hope.
Jayne Mansfield = Mmmmm.....
Alice Cooper = Ugly white guys can be sex symbols too. Good music as well.

Which decade do you consider the 'dark ages' of music & why?

I'd honestly say that this era, whatever it is, is the dark ages. The 60's. 70's, 80's & 90's all gave us something new...the "new" millennium is searching for it, & failing.

What do you remember about the following years:

1977 = Riding in the car to see the original Star Wars at a drive-in movie theater.
1985 = New Coke tried to replace Coke Classic.
1991 = Junior year of high school.
1995 = Dropped out of college classes, looked for work, hung out more at the library than anywhere else.
1999 = Moved to a suburb of Pittsburgh. Learned that the same state can have widely different intellegence levels depending on which side you are on.

What's your favourite Saturday night record?

Depends on what I'm doing Saturday night. But I've found that Keoki's Disco Death Race 2000 always seems to get me moving. As does Atari Teenage Riot's Burn, Berlin, Burn...but for different reasons.

And your Sunday morning one?

There is just something about David Gray's Sell Sell Sell that makes Sunday mornings special. That or Enigma's The Screen Behind The Mirror.

What are your plans for the future?

Hopefully do something I like to do. Maybe finally get some backing & do a full original album.

Do you still see yourself hanging around GYBO in ten years time?

If GYBO grows, & doesn't get populated by trolls...sure.

What do you think the future for bootlegs / mash-ups / remixes would be like, given that being a home musician is so easy these days?

The majority will have to either improve, or do something else. However, with that said...some have talent, some don't. It will always come down to talent...& personal taste. It might be a very technically sound work, but if it sounds like shit to me, it's done as far as I'm concerned. Same with everyone else. Nobody picks the "well done" song over the song they like...

You can check out The Reverend Menagerie's main site here, or visit his music site here and his blog here.