Wednesday, September 29, 2004

McSleazy

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

What are you up to these days?

I've been working on tracks with a view to getting a female singer involved. It's poppy, but firmly based in electro. There’s upcoming gigs in Paris (with GHP, Loo & Placido & DJ Zebra) at the Rex Club on Oct 13th & a gig in Budapest too. Also on the horizon is a Charlatans remix project, & a couple of other wee remixes.

What music are you currently listening to?

A lot of pop. I've no experience in writing pop vocals, so I'm soaking myself in it to try & get inspiration. For relaxation, I've being going down-tempo recently.

What, if push comes to shove, is the album that changed your life?

Different stages of my life have had different albums to go with them.

Adam & The Ants – Prince Charming has stayed with me as a magical album. "Scorpios" is a genius track, & the best first track on an album ever.
Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction. I learned the air-drums to the entire album.
Depeche Mode – Violator. Best synth-pop album in history.
Suede – Suede. I played that tape to death.
Primal Scream – Xtrmntr. Hit the nail on the head at the time. Woke me up a bit.

Do you still remember the first record you bought? Where did you buy it?

I remember buying the Joboxers – "Boxer Beat" but I don't know if it was the first.

Which artiste, other than yourself, have you ever wanted to be?

I don't know if I'd want to be someone else. I would like to have fronted the Police, so I suppose Sting circa early 80s.

Can you recall the most embarrassing & bizarre thing that has ever happened to you while manning the decks?

Embarrassing: I guess stripping off at the last Bastard that I played at. I always get a bit pished before the Bastards, & it's one person's fault (you know who you are. He may be an afternoon drinking expert, but I'm not used to it)!

Bizarre: Trying my best in Slovenia to play undanceable tunes to piss off the hired dancers in the club. They eventually refused to dance anymore during "Paradise City"!

You've supported the likes of Kelis & the Charlatans. Any fantastic stories to tell? Please don't spare us any details!!!

I didn't support Kelis – I was double booked. Turned out to be fortunate tho, cos when I should have been on, I ended up having dinner along with Kelis. She's extremely pretty. I was watching her soundcheck, & she was really getting involved with the musical arrangements. She knows her stuff.

No fantastic stories really. Charlatans were sound. They've been around long enough to know you don't act like a dick. The night was so relaxed. They all came out before the doors opened & asked me to play my remixes & bootlegs on the PA. Very cool people.

The Last of McSleazy:

Last album you bought (or downloaded) that was shite = Nothing springs to mind
Last movie you watched that gave you wood = Spartan. Surprisingly good
Last book or mag you read that was a total waste of time = ???
Last concert you went that was awesome = Kelis
Last mash-up you heard that made you go "Damn! Why didn't I think of that?!!" = Loo & Placido – "Kids Rock"


What is the most irritating thing that bugs you about being the head honcho of GYBO?

LV15 once told me that a lot of newcomers to the board might think I was GYBO admin, & that's all. I hadn't put anything online for a while, so that kinda kicked-started me. I guess the downside is having to get involved with some of the sillier arguments on the board – arguments I would prefer not to be involved in. The upside is being able to create something like GYRO which I think is gonna be a lot of fun...

Looking back at GYBO, is there any "what-if's" or "if-only's" you would like to share with us?

You can't think like that. I've had a lot of good stuff come my way since GYBO. I wish LV15 would come back tho...

Which bootlegger, do you think, is severely underrated?

After seeing the top 100 bootleggers list thing recently, I was horrified to see how low Ultra396 was. Neither him, nor his cohorts have ever released a bad track. Get that sorted, kids! Ben (Soundhog) is finally getting the attention he deserves. Generally, I think the talent is recognised.

Describe your ultimate bootleg fantasy involving LV 15, Kylie Minogue & Daz Automatic...

All four of us are in a room. LV15 & Daz leave.

Let's play word association. We mention a name & you give us your thoughts...

Erol Alkan = I'm sure he's an anagram of something, but I haven't figured it out yet. I've never met the fella, but I'm assured he's a talented DJ.
Turbonegro = Watched them from the DJ booth at T in the Park last year. Hilarious.
Jirob = He used to post on the board, didn't he?
Ian Davenport = Could lose a couple of pounds. Quite sensitive. He's probably crying now.
Weiser = Poor fella.
The Passion Of The Christ = Perpetuating the Catholic myth. It didn't even have his wife in it!
Kate Moss = She's leading that poor Har Mar fella astray.
Obie Trice = Improved upon by Tone.
Southern Fried = KFC gives me the runs every single time.
Tim Burgess = Nice guy.

Which decade do you consider its music the most exciting?

This one, cos it's not finished...

What do you remember about the following years:

1984 = Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom
1989 = Trying skiing for the first & only time
1992 = Saidflorence
1999 = Fight Club
2002 = Quit working in Sleazys

What's your favourite Saturday night record?

Bon Jovi – "Living On A Prayer"

And your Sunday morning one?

Mogwai – "Tracey (Kid Loco Remix)"

I read that you can whip out a pretty mean Salmon En Croute. So what other speciality dishes can one expect in the McSleazy kitchen?

I do a wonderful Lasagne. Tonight, it's Pork Escalopes with a white wine & mushroom cream sauce.

Any chances of us hearing that elusive solo album this year?

There'll be an album soon, but it won't be a straight forward McSleazy album.

What are your plans for the future?

Production & remixing. No ringtones, thank you.

What do you think the future for bootlegs / mash-ups / remixes would be like, given that being a home musician is so easy these days?

It'll keep going, & every now & then, there'll be breakthrough tracks.

Lastly, what is the ONE thing you want to be least remembered for?

The man who never died.


Check out one of McSleazy's DJ-Mix sets below:

Superchunk (DJ set for Xfm)

You can also visit McSleazy's website here, or order the Franzie Boys 12"
here.