Thursday, September 09, 2004

Miss Frenchie



Just for the record, why 'Miss Frenchie'?

When I arrived in England back in 1996, I used to be a barmaid in a club & all the bouncers were calling me Frenchie. Then when I started getting DJ gigs, the name stuck & I just added "Miss" instead of "DJ" so that people could easily know I was a female DJ (there weren't many DJs called "Miss" something at the time!).

What are you up to these days?

I'm resident at Sugar in Leamington Spa & Boujis in London. I'm currently trying to get an agent to take care of my DJ career. I'm also working on an exciting remixing job but I'm not allowed to say much about it...

What music are you currently listening to?

I love all the DJ mixes people at GYBO make. I can't stop playing Thriftshop XL's "History Of Rock Part 1" at the mo! Kasabian's album is also on heavy rotation with the 5,6,7,8's & the new Fatboy Slim album.

What, if push comes to shove, is your all-time favourite album?

That's a tough question as I listen to so many different styles! It would have to be split into genres...Some of my all-time faves are: Depeche Mode - Violator, Madonna - Like A Prayer, Prince - Diamonds & Pearls, Nirvana - Unplugged In NY, System Of A Down - Toxicity, The Pixies - Doolittle, Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman...So many more!!!

Do you still remember what's the first record you ever bought? Where did you buy it?

The first "grown-up" record I bought was Madonna's "Into The Groove". I was 8 & from then on, I became a Madonna fan. Still goes on!

Which artiste, other than yourself, have you ever wanted to be?

See above!!! Madonna was my role model. She definitely taught me how to stand up for myself & believe I can achieve amazing things if I try hard enough. She was a great comfort when I was becoming a teenager going through my "ugly-duckling" phase! Might sound sad but hey!

What are the most embarrassing & bizarre moments you've ever encountered while manning the decks? Tell us some stories please!

When I played at the Ocean Rooms in Brighton last year, a girl started stripping & going wild. It was funny! Once a guy put his pint glass on one of my decks while it was playing. I went mad! Thankfully I managed to remove it without spilling any beer.

What is the most outrageous rumour you've heard that is said about you?

A promoter said someone told him I was pregnant! I was shocked! Probably a rumour someone started to remove me from the scene!

The Last of Miss Frenchie:

Last CD you bought (or downloaded) = Armand Van Helden - New York: A Mix Odyssey
Last movie you watched that gave you the weepies = The news are more likely to make me cry at the moment.
Last book or mag you read that was hot! = Bill Bryson - Notes From A Small Island
Last concert you watched that was awesome = Madonna's Reinvention Tour in London.
Last bootleg you heard that made you go, "Damn! Why didn't I think of
that?!!"
= All the good ones!!!

In your opinion, what are the ultimate bootleg of all time?

GHP - "Ray Of Gob". Absolutely superb. I never get bored of it.

What do you think is the 'secret ingredient' behind a Miss Frenchie boot?

Being out of key?!! My boots are aimed for the dancefloor but they're first done to entertain my good self & make people smile.

Any boots you wished you've done but didn't?

Soulwax - "Push It Like A Dog" & McSleazy - "Don't Call Me Song 2"

What are the difficulties you faced being a female DJ working in a largely male-dominated terrain?

Promoters are more likely to try to rip me off thinking I won't say a thing. Punters who think it's their duty to chat me up. People waiting for me to make any small mistakes (coz a girl can't possibly mix well!). It's getting better though, I've learned how to deal with all this!

Let's play word association. We mention a name & you give us your thoughts...

Bastard = Party
Norman Cook = DJ Guru
Loo & Placido = Vive la France!
The Rapture = Robert Smith?!!
Jamie Oliver = Pukka!
London Booted = Class!
Avent = Who?
Rick James = Superfreak
Stilla = Don't you mean Stella like Artois?!!
XFM Superchunk = Favourite 30 minutes each Sunday!

What do you remember about the following years:

1983 = My brother was born
1985 = Discovered Madonna
1992 = Teenage dirtbag!
1996 = Moved to England forever!
2000 = The year that was supposed to be scary but wasn't really!


What's your favourite Saturday night record?

Electric Six - "Gay Bar"

And your Sunday morning one?

Jimi Hendrix - "All Along The Watchtower"

What are the principles of life you live by?

Never judge a book by its cover & it's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

What are your plans for the future?

I want to make a proper living out of what I love doing before I'm too old & wrinkly (don't we all!).

What do you think the future for bootlegs / mash-ups / remixes would be like, given that being a home musician is so easy these days?

I can see it all growing stronger & stronger. More music for the people made by the people. It's looking good!

You can visit Miss Frenchie's website here.