Thursday, October 21, 2004

Dunproofin'

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Just for the record, what's the story behind the name 'Dunproofin''?

Blame LV15...I got a pretty savage but deserved mauling over a track which I let it get to me. At that point I had been (the pretty awfully named) Andy Soundproof for some time after a club night I used to DJ at...decided that it would be a good idea to change my name since I was also changing the kind of stuff I was DJing. LV15 was the straw that broke the back, so "Soundproof" was "Dun" from that day onwards...it's also an especially poor play on a Scottish tradition for house naming.

What are you up to these days?

Juggling three areas of my life - a hobby, a vocation & a job (the family, the 9-5 & the music: I'll let the readers decided which description matches which activity).

Musically - there's quite a lot going on. The website's now up & running again (thanks Richie) at it's new address. I'm very excited about the next International Bastard in November, the new Bastard 3x Vinyl LP & especially excited about a BBC2 (Brighton) gig in December. Actually, bricking it is probably a better description.

What music are you currently raving to?

OK, tunes for this weekend include Rennie Pilgrem's Pilgremage, Freeform Five's Strange Things, Yellow Magic Orchestra's YMO Go Home! & Killing Joke's Killing Joke, &, erm, William Shatner's Has Been.

What, if push comes to shove, is your all-time favourite album?

Tuff question...today I'll take 808 State's 90 with me on the Desert Island.

Which artiste, other than yourself, have you ever wanted to be?

Bjork. Does what she wants & doesn't give 2 shits about anyone else. Just so happens she's f**king amazing also, which helps.

Can you recall the most embarrassing & bizarre thing that has ever happened to you?

Embarrassing: Probably a photo or something getting dragged out by family.
Bizarre: Nearly running over Billy Connoly at Aberdeen Airport.

The First of Dunproofin':

First record you ever bought = Raiders Of The Pop Charts (buy one, get one free)
First movie you watched that gave you wood = Can't remember. Anything with Winona, the love of my life, is always worth watching though.
First book or mag you read that made you go "Mmmm..." = Down & Out In Paris & London
First concert you went to that changed your life = Optimo, T-In The Park, 2003. That's a smart trick with microphones they pulled off. I never thought I would sing along to Technotronic.
First mash-up you heard that made you wanna be a 'legger = GHP's "Making Plans For Vinyl" revitalised my interest significantly. I'm guessing
probably Mixmachine's version of "Waiting For Tonight" / "Heart Of Asia" got me started though.

In your opinion, what is the most irritating thing about GYBO?

Heh, probably me. Too many posts with not enough music on the main board.

Which GYBO-er deserves the greatest applause?

I was thinking about this hard - people on GYBO have got a fairly good idea who I dig, & I don't want to be the Greek panel nominating the Cypriots, but I don't think xStarbellyx & Empire State Human get enough props.

Describe your ultimate bootleg fantasy involving Cathy Dennis, Cropstar, Lindsay Lohan & Deep Disco Force. Humour us please...

Cropstar is a man behind the scene's - he sets things up. Cathy's acting out her greatest hit. Lindsay's floating around. Then Deep Scholong Force turns up...& I wake up.

Let's play word association. We mention a name & you give us your thoughts...

Anton LaVey = Well researched questions
Nicole Kidman = Skinnymalink
Dee Dee Ramone = Gabba Gabba Hey
Vaseline = When you're stuck like glue
Weiser = Misunderstood
Soundforge = Unknown quantity
Dave Grohl = The devil
Always Outsiders Never Outdone = Clique?
Lucifer = Scream's Finest
Kylie = Your disco needs you

Which decade do you consider its music the most jaded?

90's: this was my decade essentially. You can never go back on your past.

What do you remember about the following years:

1978 = Greek Holidays & Skylab?
1983 = Frankie Says...
1996 = Mrs Dunproofin' created
1999 = Dunproofin' Jnr mrk 1 arrives
2002 = Dunproofin' Jnr mrk 2 arrives


What's your favourite Saturday night record?

Currently ZZ Top's Eliminator album

And your Sunday morning one?

KLF - Chill Out

What's the greatest joy & the biggest pain about being Dunproofin'?

The greatest joy: Being able to spout shite in my spare time & at work.
The biggest pain: Having to work double hard to make up for the time I'm being Dunproofin'.

Any principles of life you live by?

Presumption is the mother of all f**k ups. It's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done...

What are your plans for the future?

More gigs - really missing playing out on a regular basis. I said I'd give music one more year unless something happened in 2004. I guess enough's happened to give it another year.

Do you still see yourself churning out bootlegs in ten years time?

I hope not! I'll hopefully be an old man & listening to too much of that 90's shite (yeh - I know that's now also).

What do you think the future for bootlegs / mash-ups / remixes would be like, given that being a home musician is so easy these days?

Being a home musician is great. Being a good musician is different. I don't think for the forseeable future much will change.


*Exclusive* Dunproofin' boot:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Get Over (GYBO Not GYRO Mix) (Sophie Ellis Baxter vs The Rapture + other ditties) [OFFLINE]

You can also check out his new website here.