Sunday, March 20, 2005

Marty Batfreak

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

First of all, how the devil are you & what are you up to these days?

I'm super, thanks for asking, G. We've just enjoyed a 2-for-1 Royal Tour of Australia, the Royal Easter Show is on again, & I'm doing a royal job on these questions.

Every day online for me is now dedicated to B'N'R Forum, in some way, & my Sydney radio show Pitch Shift - which turns one on April Fools' - has been incorporated into that same process. A win-win for all. Also, come April 10th, aka Day 100 of 2005, I'll release One Hundred Boots into the cyber-air, as a 100 minute mix, so that's taking some time to finish (thankfully, my Dynamic Duo partner in crime, DJ HDD will help me master it, so look forward to quality). Then, on Anzac Day, I'm playing yet again at the outdoor bush party (we call them 'doofs') called Elixir; these are so suitable for the Aussie climate... or is it the other way around? Either way, a lot of hippies, happy vibes, but too much psy-trance (the new annoying 'pop' to me & the Doc), so I'll be at the Funky Chicken stage dishing out boots n electro.

All in all, a busy little Bat.

What's the story behind the name "Marty Batfreak"?

Well, I'll let you guys catch up by visiting the SFMC story here, but put simply...I was Marty B, until another Marty B(utler) appeared on the Sydney DJ scene. I was playing less hip hop & more techno by then, so I went 'feral', as we say. For half my life now, Batman was easily, & by sheer chance, the first character I ever seriously collected in comic books (For Sale: issues #400-500 incl. spinoffs => 50% proceeds to Architects Without Frontiers). Rather than just take the name 'Batman' (I respect the DC character too much to be a clone), the Bat animus or motif suits me, & my poor eyesight, latenight tendencies to jump around flapping to strange sounds, with pointy teeth, make the choice more real.

Good sense of 'ear', too.

So what are the tunes that have been ringing in your head lately?

For starters, this month I've been extra lucky to be herding the boots for our next project, BootLegend. You can read more at the forum, but basically, hats off once again to RikkiRok for a fine job, hang tight for the release, gang.

Then, it's really a case of YAY DJ FOOD HAS DONE IT PROPER. That's right, the redux of "Raiding The 21st Century" has not left my immediate playlist since [its] release earlier this year. Top shelf style & meaning for all.

Dublxero, obviously like myself also a fan of the ICP, was my choice for an edition of DJ HDD's "Boots N All" mid March, & every one of 00's individual edits stand out as gold for anyone's portable player, I reckon - 'tis smile-making stuff.

I'd also like to mention Aggro1 & Audio Shrapnel as purveyors of fine boots, so fine I'm unable to list them all here. But they've been 'wringing' my head - hehe.

Oh, & MC Pitman... y'get me?

Can you list out five of your all-time favourite albums?

Walter Carlos - A Clockwork Orange soundtrack
My earliest memories include asking for this to be played to me (the infant) over & over & over. There's just something about the moog that 'gels' with me & my ears. Yes, eventually, I was allowed to inherit the original CBS audio cassette, & when I finally saw ACO up on the big screen (all visitors to Sydney MUST consider a visit to the Valhalla Theatre), all the hairs on my body stood up... wow, what a sound.

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana (Berlin Opera & Orchestra)
If Beelzebub really DOES listen to classical, then this is it. Banned for its content, this has to be one of the most powerful compositions for eternity. Buy it, listen to the WHOLE thing....then again. And again.

Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet
This was the concrete in the fandom for me & only a handful of others at school. The catalog of PE got better at Uni, too...

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
The first 'A-Side+B-side' album I ever bought on CD, & I didn't stop playing it for about 3 weeks (first yr Uni). It is the epitome of what one individual can achieve, ironically balanced by the sheer brutal nature of the music industry (Richard Branson made his FIRST million from this album, while Mike saw practically bugger all of it).

Fatboy Slim - Better Living Through Chemistry
(Ha! Didn't see THAT coming, did ya?)When this album came out, I knew there was hope for electronic-finksters after all...Ah, trip hop. Ah, big beat. Ah...just ah, for everything Norman has ever done & will do. Screw the purists, this is Skint.


When was the first time you bought a record that was shite? Where did you buy it?
This is a really tough question. Buying shite isn't easy, sometimes it can take months to find the shite you want. They don't have many shite bins in stores anymore, not like the old 'oh-wow-have-you-heard-about-these-new-CDJ-players' days...

Actually, I won't bother naming it, but someone around here has been writing 'shite' of late, so I won't be buying his album, despite my deep sense of loyalty to the local smatterings of talent.

Which artiste, other than yourself, have you ever wanted to be?

Mike Oldfield (see above). Well, him, or his French equivalent, Jean-Michel Jarre - both giants in my electronic world. I mean, who else gets the chance to play the Millenium NYE at the Pyramids of Giza, & is permitted to install lasers on them? Class. Every album a winner, from both of them.

Can you recall any embarrassing or bizarre moments during your entire DJ-ing career? Give us the juicy details!!!

Ignoring the jocks' 20 or 30 requests for Pearl Jam at a college gig (yes, my college), & thus-ly being dragged out to the oval, & tied to the goal posts for about half an hour. (Don't worry, the Bat never forgets...they still wonder who it was not too long after, that kept removing the circuit fuses for the fridges in their common rooms) That was embarassing.

Bizarre was discovering (somewhere else entirely) that 3 DJs CAN play at the same time, without talking to each other, & still sound co-ordinated (yay for the Lazy Sunday posse).

You are part of the team behind the B'N'R Forum. What do you think is the greatest pains & biggest joys at maintaining a board like that?

Ok, pains first. Most of these now exist beyond the parameters of B'N'R, but really, it's been the all-too-quick criticism of efforts made with good intentions, just because certain 'critics' (haha) feel that it is their right/duty to dump on people. I'm reminded of Jay & Silent Bob, visiting their 'h8rs' one by one, & how much I will, one day, enjoy talking to these tossers face to face. Count on it... you know who you are. Sour grapes are just that - sour, so go drop off the vine & rot.

Now, the Joys. SO MANY JOYS, like making new friends for life, making a difference, & making pop so bastardly, that I almost guarantee I will be jailed. And loving it. C Boast was smart enough to grab as the driving force for its creation (hehe, don't mind if i do!), & with mods like
Spiny to assist, we cannot fail in our quest for even more experimentation & artistry. And yes, Dsico, it is art, & it brings us & others joy to do so. We ask people to register before posting, because that's what brings the 'village' atmosphere together - it works.

The ULTIMATE joys are the boot albums & mini challenges we are always up to. BootLegend is out 05.05.05 - make a note in your diary to visit B'N'R for more info.

What is the most outrageous rumour you've heard about you?

I was dead (you'd think someone would ring to check, but no...). Reasons varied, but generally they had some pretty mental pictures to accompany the goss. (Oh, & two booters thawt I was Luke Dsico with a mask on. I'd like to point out that he does NOT, in any way, reflect the true state of bootlegging in Sydney. Nope. Not a chance. I mean, well done on Spasticated, but the rest of us are digging our heels in. Please visit the WARNING: DO NOT READ THIS THREAD thread at B'N'R to learn who I am, & am, & am...)

The Last of Marty Batfreak:

Last film that gave you wood = ...that I didn't download?... ummm...I saw something on SBS TV last year... I'll get back to you on that...

Last sexual encounter that involved a music album = ...I'll just dig up my fave makeout CD here, FSOL's Lifeforms - try to cue one CD after the other without gap.

Last book or mag you read that gave you the creeps = How To Win Friends & Influence People

Last concert you went to that was awesome = Big Day Out 2005 - ho yes, Beasties up in this!!!

Last mash-up you heard that made you go "Damn! I should've done that!" = "I Love Celine", 'tis fkjing funny but nope, 'snot me... some have asked, but ihni... ask the Capn at B'N'R.


Interestingly, you've mentioned that you're from Australia. What are the things you love about your country?

Sun, sunsets, sunrises, sand, surf, sex, sheilas, spas, shmoko, speed, spices, sauces, summer, seclusion, stand-up, skins, swingers, slammers, schooners, strikes, shows, stars, Scenius, Severed Heads, sevcom, & sharing spirit...but NOT sports.

What is Australia's reaction like when it comes to mash-ups?

Check the previous 20Q's from my fellow antipodeans, Bangers & Mash & Dsico; that's mainly to help me pad out my answer here... hehe.

In 2005 (if at all), it's still 'heard' as some crazy post-DJ thing. Most online punters here wouldn't necessarily leave the safety of a typical 'dance music' forum. Also, & this is much more obvious, the power of the awe factor has still yet to be truly broken on dancefloors around this
country. Why's that? Dunno...let it grow, I guess...rave music did.

And yet, after style names come & go, over the years of private DJ gigs for me, & DJ HDD also around town somewhere, we're wondering how all of a sudden, Ministry of Sound is able to claim any cred for 'discovering' mashups? With one of our potentially decent 'bastard' DJs at the helm? Hmmm...

In your opinion, what are the factors that make a good mash-up?

A clever mash-up uses the titles/themes to create something new, from what is primarily just a bit punny. A good mash-up is one that even the artistes involved would smile at. A GREAT mash-up gets released through the proper channels & sold, preferably here, cos I've always loved finding white label gems in shops around town.

Describe your ultimate bootleg fantasy involving you, AC/DC, Kylie Minogue, Spiny Norman & DJ C Boast. Humour us please...

It's 2012. C Boast, his real name now by deed poll, graduates with Honours in Music from the esteemed Oxford-on-Mash College, & spends his whirlwind DJ career fortune on flying him, a dozen family & friends, & a few Aussie booters over to California. Home of Club Le Mont Blanc, where Kylie is playing her 24th & final live gig, & celebrating the release of her 'KY/DC' Gold DVD Mashography, with the few remaining members of the Acca still playing 'chair guitar' support to her. The Manager, Emily Norman, keeps everyone well entertained, 'cos of course, she's unlikely to get Spiny off the decks... ever... even when Kylie IS playing.

Let's play word association. We mention a name & you give us your thoughts...

Bruce Wayne = Marty Wells
DJ No No = Yes yes
Primal Scream = Thank you for introducing the Dust Brothers to me again (but WHICH Dust Brothers was it?)
Majick = the forum: well done on Janet; the creator: 2slow; C.H.A.O.S. Prod (on the other hand) fine booter
CartelMike = Moby
Durex = different colors
McSleazy = anti-christ
Eva Longoria = woof woof
Judas = whistleblower
Soulseek = watching paint dry


Which genre of music do you consider the most "under-used" in bootlegs?

Classic rave & warehouse chooons. Apart from the great Lumpy, no one has really taken this head on. Yet. Oh, & expect more classy jazz from Scenius (also an Aussie), the cat's got style.

What do you remember about the following years:

1989 = Two VIPartiesWithoutParents

i) Grafton, no one from my school, but it was my first EVER DJ gig, almost impromptu. After bringing about 40 audio cassettes of music (mostly self-made compilations), I discovered that both decks could be played at the same time on the mini hi-fi. Enter the Deejay...& I've never looked back.

ii) South Grafton, my side of town. Got laid. Well, sort of...downstairs laundry floor, too...what, too graphic?

1995 = Mid week 2RSR radio show 'Pitch Control' turns two. Joined Clan Analogue, Australia's true electronic collective, which would lead me into playing at Itche & Scratche's Farewell gig at the Metro, & also at the following year's Big Day Out. Drove a white VW bug.

1997 = Batfreak was 'born', & started a series of successful collaborations; WombleThump (Pipes On Sunday), The Flow (Chai.4.2 Assemblage Records), Random Bullshit (FBi Radio)

2001 = A weird one. Highlights incl. presenting JJJ's MixUp for 8 hrs at a time AT the Gigs! The ONLY Mardi Gras ever broadcast, NYE @ Bondi (interviewed Erick Morillo), GateCrasher, Transmission, & wrapping it up with 6 days in a row of presenting the Christmas Breakfast Shows.

2004 = Boots, glorious boooots! After ringing the Doc (Boots N All) & reintroducing ourselves (yes, we were both on 2RSR 10 yrs prior!), Pitch Shift was born on 2MBSfm, thankyou Doc, & thankyou CMC, who have been there for 25 years now, with about 50+ presenters over that time...& they say the graveyard shift isn't fun.... HA. (102.5, sydney siders, & the 150km radius or so). B'N'R is born, my hobbies begin anew.

What's your favourite Saturday night record?

Gat Decor - "Passion" (old ravers never die, they just appreciate house music).

And your Sunday morning one?

The Orb - "Little Fluffy Clouds" (especially Adam Freeland's mix)

Usually, Sunday is a special B'N'Radio catchup day, or even a bong mix or mwude too, both from b00mb0x.

Complete the following sentences:

I describe myself as... eclectic. And I love good radio.

Music changed me by... becoming my life.

When it comes to vices... just don't smoke. Too much.

The last time I cried was... when I stubbed my little toe for the umpteenth time. See, we wear thongs on our feet, but that's not always a good thing.

My most treasured possession is... my hearing. I've often affirmed that I'd rather go blind.

If I have any regrets... je ne regrette rieeennnnnnnn

When we die... finally, some decent sleep!....ahhhh.

Lastly, I'd like to be remembered as... (for my headstone): 'Well, that was a lot of fun, & we all had a jolly good laugh.'

This interview is dedicated to Marty's mum, without whom, there is no DJ Batfreak.


Check out Marty Batfreak's exclusive boot below:

Blog Roggin' Beats

You can also check out B'N'R@dio's site here